Article number: sndwlp001
Ghana Soundz was the first ever Soundway compilation and became recognised worldwide due to the licensing of the Oscar Sulley track, ‘Bukom Mashie’ to the soundtrack of Hollywood blockbuster, ‘Last King of Scotland’.
Pounding rhythms, blaring horns and pumping vocals – the music is a document of a time forgotten when flares and Cuban heels strutted the streets and night-spots of Accra, the sizzlingly hot and humid capital of Ghana. Influenced as much by traditional rhythms and local highlife as by the music of Fela Kuti, James Brown and Santana, these tunes had almost become extinct – until now!
Ghana Soundz was the first of three collections of rare afro-beat, afro-funk and afro-fusion that Miles Cleret painstakingly travelled the length and breadth of Ghana to assemble, the third compilation to be released late 2009.
2017 repress - double vinyl in gatefold sleeve.
1. a1: the 3rd generation band - because of money
2. a2: oscar sulley & the uhuru dance band - bukom mashie
3. a3: marijata - mother africa
4. b1: ebo taylor - heaven
5. b2: gyedu blay ambolley & the steneboofs - simigwado
6. b3: the sweet talks - eyi su ngaangaa
7. c1: the ogyatanaa show band - ageisheka
8. c2: k. frimpong & his cubano fiestas - hwehwe mu na yi wo mpena
9. c3: the apagya show band - kwaku ananse
10. d1: african brothers int. band - self reliance
11. d2: rob - make it fast, make it slow
12. d3: alex konadu - w’awu do ho no